Learn to Teach, Teach to Learn
Become a Yoga Alliance Register Instructor while learning valuable life skills!
Shanti offers both 200 & 300 Yoga Alliance Registered Tracks in two convenient platforms: online only or a hybrid of both online and in person.
Our NEW ONLINE YOGA TEACHER TRAINING COURSES serves as the framework for both in person and online. The curriculum is the same, you choose how you want to move through it. We have many students who only do online although most do a hybrid. Either way, you will feel a strong connection with the others in the program via our twice weekly live stream discussion groups, student practice sessions (both live stream and in person) and our mentorship program. We also hold monthly intensive meet-ups (both live stream & in person). Once you sign up, you also have immediate access to all of our pre-recorded content as well as archived videos of every in person and live stream sessions (which include master classes and discussions). Students find these invaluable for watching again and again, especially topics such as anatomy, sequencing & student responses in master classes, philosophy discussions, etc.
Scroll to bottom of the page for TESTIMONIALS from students.
How does it work?
Although the full platform of online and archived material is available as soon as you enroll, each month we focus on one of our six Courses: January & July “Yoga Humanities”, February & August “Yoga Anatomy, Physiology & Biomechanics”, March & Sept “Asana”, April & October “Pranayama/Meditation”, May & November “Teaching Yoga” and June & December “Professional Tools”. Since we allow ongoing registration and three different time frames in which to complete the program (3 month, six month and one year), students will begin with the Course that’s being offered that month and progress through the other Courses until their time frame is complete. Students can also add extensions.
How do we complete all six Courses if we are choosing the three month option?
Students who have chosen the three month option will accrue the training hours from the online platform and archived materials. Keep in mind that Yoga Alliance requires 200 hours to achieve the 200 YRT designation and 300 hours above that to achieve the 500RYT designation. So if you are choosing to do the program in three months, you will need to spend more training time each month to accrue those hours.
What is the difference between the 200 and 300? Do they have the same platform?
No. While the 300 hour students have the option to access any of the 200 hour material, they have their own Course (Advanced Studies) as well as a project requirement and mentoring. More on that here. We do advise 300 hr students coming from other programs to move through the Shanti 200 hour information so they are in sync with our philosophy.
What does an average schedule look like?
Weekly sessions and monthly weekend intensives are held both in person and online. Most in person are held in Boise studios (owned by Shanti grads) or retreats. If you have chosen the year long program, you can estimate that you will need to accrue around 15 hours a month for the 200 and 25 a month for the 300. Those choosing the six month would need to accrue around twice that each month and those on the three month would need to accrue over 60 each month. We have seen success at each of these levels. It’s just whether you want or need a more accelerated/intense schedule or one that allows you more time to soak it up. Those on the full year program have the wonderful opportunity to do each Course twice. It’s amazing how much you gain from that opportunity!
Retreats – Learn about the world while you learn about yourself & yoga!
One of our favorite ways to offer training is through Retreats. Each offers a very personalized experience with our teachers and yoga…and 75 training hours! See our retreats page for a list of our international learning opportunities. To learn more about each of our learning tracks, go here.
Read what our grads have to say!
Visit yogaalliance.com to read reviews of our program or learn more about the advantages of a Yoga Alliance registered school.
I’m IN!!! What’s my next step?
First, if you’re ready to go, email email@example.com for an application or for more information. If you’d like to read more, you can scroll to the bottom of the page for answers to commonly asked questions.
Learn to teach, Teach to Learn
Our Teacher Training & Yoga Intensive Program blends contemporary science with classic yoga philosophy, ethics & history.
Learn the fascinating story behind the 6,000-year-old discipline of yoga and discover how to incorporate this powerful knowledge into every aspect of your life. Join in a group experience with aspiring teachers and dedicated students to cultivate, learn and grow. Whether you are interested in deepening your own practice or you feel the call to teach, the Shanti Yoga Teacher Training program is committed to the personal success of each participant. Students are encouraged to engage in ‘svadhyaya’ the Sanskrit term for self-inquiry and use the program as a significant part of their continuing journey on the road to self- knowledge. Students will acquire the confidence to communicate the practice of yoga to others with the highest level of skill while honoring their own unique voice and style. This program will broaden your perspective of yoga – culminating in an experience that is transformational on every level: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.
Shanti Yoga Teacher Training Advantages
Flexibility, Convenience, Community, and Excellence. Our outstanding Teacher Training Programs began in 2008, and evolved out of hundreds of hours of research, practical experience and development, and we are dedicated to providing the best education, in the most convenient & personalized manner. We train teachers at the highest level of Yoga Alliance Certification, 500 hours, and also offer 300 & 200 hour certifications, various Specializations and Advanced Training for CEU’s (Continuing Education Units required by Yoga Alliance). You will be mentored by our staff not only through the ongoing workshops & classes, but also through your video-taped community class project and practicum training (observing/assisting at Shanti Yoga School.) Most of our graduates are currently working as yoga teachers in a variety of scenarios, while some choose to use the program to enhance their personal life. If you hope to own your own yoga studio later, you’ll have the expertise to run your business, and a large pool of equally well trained teachers to assist. Our relationship doesn’t stop after you graduate as we encourage you to continue participating in classes, workshops and other events as well as through our online community. So though we may be scattered across the country, we always remain linked.
Topics covered in the 200 & 300 Hour program meet or exceed all the required standards set forth by Yoga Alliance in the areas of:
- Techniques: the guided practice of, and analytical training in, traditional yoga techniques including yoga asana, pranayama, mantra, and meditation
- Teaching Methodology: principles of demonstration, observation, assisting/correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, and business aspects of teaching yoga
- Anatomy and Physiology: both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, bones, muscles, organs, etc.) as well as energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers: Yoga’s roots and historical developments, compare/contrast Eastern and Western Practices, ethical considerations for yoga teachers.
- Practicum: actual practice teaching, giving and receiving feedback and observing others teaching.
Tuition for both the 200 & 300 hour program currently ranges from $800-$2200 depending on the length of the program you choose to pursue. A $200 deposit is required to hold your space but this will be deducted from your total fee. Tuition paid in full receives a 10% discount. Tuition not paid in full requires a monthly auto-payment deducted from a credit or debit card. You can choose the monthly payment amount and payment date that works best for you, so long as the payments will be completed by the end of your chosen program. The balance can be paid off at any time. Tuition includes unlimited access to Shanti Yoga classes, workshops taught by Shanti Yoga School instructors, access to the Shanti Online Learning platform and other online resources, mentoring and other benefits. We expect 200 or 300 hour coursework to be completed within three to twelve months. Extensions can be arranged for any length of time. If you need to take a sabbatical, there is a re-initiation fee of $100. Graduates in good standing continue to enjoy other benefits including discounts on workshops, classes, and access to the online platform. School Refund policy: all payments are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Commonly Asked Questions
1. When can I begin? We have no set start dates, rather we have chosen to make our program as flexible and convenient as possible. Each month we focus on one of our 6 Yoga Alliance-approved Courses, so over the course of a year we cover each Course twice during our live sessions. For example, you might begin with the Meditation Course because that’s a convenient time for you to begin, and catch the Asana section afterwards. Some students choose to complete the program in three months, in which case their studies are largely independent from the Courses we’re focusing on during our live sessions as they work through the online learning platform and archived video material. In addition to our live weekly and monthly sessions on these subjects, the 6 Courses are covered in material presented in our online learning platform with lessons consisting of pdfs readings, videos, and quizzes. These Courses are: Yoga Humanities, Yoga Anatomy, Asana, Pranayama, Meditation, and Teaching Yoga.
2. How proficient in yoga do you have to be to do the program? We are looking for students who want to learn more about yoga or who have a desire to teach. While it will be to your benefit to have a background in yoga, we acknowledge the most important attribute is this desire to learn. We look for practitioners who come to the mat with a level of maturity, a willingness to learn and an understanding of the limits of their own body. Keep in mind this program is not only for aspiring teachers, but people who want to deepen their practice.
3. Do I need to have any other qualifications to be accepted into the program? To qualify for our Teacher Training Program, you must complete an application and pay the deposit.
4. How much time should I expect to spend on homework? This depends upon how long you choose to spend in the program. Those wishing to complete it in the shortest time frame of 3 months might need to spend up to 20 hours per week on the online learning platform and discussion groups and classes. Those who want to stretch the program out over the full year, might not need to do this. The homework is designed to support the material covered in class and help you integrate what is presented into your own practice and teaching. If you are not planning on teaching after this course, you may choose not to complete all of the homework assignments and take the course for non-credit. However, if you wish to receive your Certificate of
Completion, you must accrue the necessary hours and complete all the homework assignments.
5. What is the Yoga Alliance? Yoga Alliance is an organization that was started in 1999 as a way to create nationally recognized standards for yoga teachers and yoga teacher trainings. More and more yoga studios across the country are requiring their teachers to register with the Yoga Alliance, either at the 200 or 500 hour level. Yoga Alliance registration, however, is not a legal requirement for teaching yoga. Currently there are no legal certification requirements to be a yoga teacher. Students that complete both 200 & 300 programs are eligible to register through the Yoga Alliance as a 500 hour registered yoga teacher.
6. Will I be qualified to teach yoga once I complete the 200 Hour Teacher Training Program? Yes! With the successful completion of all the requirements of the program, including contact hours, homework, portfolio, videotaped community class and final exam, you will receive your Certificate of Completion evidencing your training. You may also register with the Yoga Alliance (http://www.yogaalliance.org).
7. What is the yoga style of the school? Our school touts an “interdisciplinary” philosophy believing that yoga is an art, as well as a science….and that it stands upon the shoulders of it’s early sages, but allows for individual evolving innovations. That being said, our school definitely orients towards a breath-aware, biomechanically-conscious vinyasa. My particular style is an evolution of what I learned from my teachers, Erich Schiffmann, Shiva Rea, Seane Corn & many others who I’ve studied with at Exhale & YogaWorks in Los Angeles. I have also chosen to study with alignment-oriented teachers such as John Friend (Anusara) and Rodney Yee & Judith Lasater (Iyengar) because I believe sound biomechanics is essential (my background is in Exercise Science). Many call this style “Slow Flow”…a breath-oriented vinyasa with very conscious awareness of alignment, especially in the transitions. Recently, I was able to study with the wonderful Annie Carpenter who calls this form “Smart Flow.” All of the teachers at Shanti have been certified by Yoga Alliance and follow this balance of breath-inspired, flow-inducing, krama-specific vinyasa that is primary to the Shanti School program. We all believe that yoga is a tool that allows us to learn more about ourself and come closer to finding peace within. For more information on our Shanti Teachers credentials and achievements click here.
8. Testimonials from past students
YOGA SCHOOL TESTIMONIALS
Shanti Teaches Safe Yoga:
Working with the knowledgeable faculty members of Shanti Yoga School saved my body! Even with a background in functional training and corrective exercise, I was practicing many asanas inappropriately and causing injury in the process. Shanti Yoga School taught me how to fit my body to the pose. -Susie Orme, 2019 Graduate
Build Confidence and Find Your Voice:
The learning experience for me was amazing. There’s so much information that just motivates you to delve deeper. All the teachers and workshops were always very productive. I think when looking back to my first teaching module, for me being able to get into groups and teach is always good. It’s really the practice that builds confidence in teaching.
-Caroline Rea, 2019 Graduate
Share Your Yoga:
I started this journey wanting to better my own practice, which I have accomplished; although, there is always room for continued education and growth. At first, I wasn’t sure if teaching was something I wanted to do but now I do want to teach and share my knowledge with my community.
-Kim Meza, 2019 Graduate
Beyond the Mat:
I believe I got more out of the training that I expected. However, what I came away with is not what I thought my original goals were when I got involved in the program. But, I believe that is what yoga does, stretches and expands the mind in all directions, not just the socially acceptable or perceived goals/training.
-Stephanie Florence, 2019 Graduate
Every teacher in every class gave so much of themselves in sharing their knowledge and expertise on the topics we were studying. It’s evident that yoga is a part of who they are and they are generous in sharing that expertise and dedication with others on their journey. I am confident that I could contact them with questions and they would be willing to share their thoughts.
-Caroline Brokaw, 2019 Graduate
Shanti Teacher training has been an absolute joy in my life. It has opened me up, taught me so much about who I am, where I want to be, it has held me up in times of despair and grief. I am so grateful for this program and the people it has brought into my life.
-Cari Harbaugh, 2019 300 Hour Graduate
This program has been such a wonderful experience and I feel like with completion of the 200 hour program, I’ve only just dipped in and I want to go deeper!
-Ingrid Peterson, 4/12/15
I don’t know if you’d like a testimonial for Viniyoga 1 – 3, but I can honestly say that it has changed my outlook and I have a better grasp on emotional healing due to Jeanne Dillion’s kind and thorough teaching of Therapeutic Yoga and iRest. I NEVER thought I was one for Yoga Nidra, I always came out of it irritated and angry, but with her iRest Yoga Nidra, the imagery used was soothing and restful and I truly felt like I had a good nap, event though I never fell asleep. I didn’t think I would enjoy therapeutic yoga, coming from a powerful and athletic Ashtanga background, but I’ve been able to connect my movements with my breath better now than I was able to with 20 years of “Power” Yoga. What seemed like a forced movement meditation is now second nature and has a beautiful flow. I now use many of the techniques I learned in Viniyoga discussions when I have the opportunity to teach Vinyasa Flow classes and the students have been touched enough to comment positively on how they can understand and feel the breath better than before. I plan to continue to work with Jeanne even after graduating.
Thank you so much for the opportunity to learn different styles and modalities of yoga!
Jill Singer 12/8/15
Danielle B. “I just want to thank you so much for everything you do. I came into yoga thinking I knew a good portion (about yoga & myself). Turns out I hadn’t even scratched the surface. This experience has changed the way I communicate not only with others but with myself . I have an endless amount of gratitude for you as a teacher and as a human being. And endless amount of thinks and love to give to you.” 12/5/16
Thank you so much for reading carefully and reflecting graciously, learnedly, and also encouraging me in your comments. I learned so much from them and always looked forward to your thoughtful responses. I learned a lot from them-areas where I didnt quite get the crux of an idea or concept. I felt like you were teaching just to me, which you were. I have been able to re-read some areas and add new concepts thus broadening me and my ability to serve others by your suggestions, instruction and comments. I cant tell you how much you are appreciated. Thank you so much for your time and energy. I so appreciate the gifts you have and continue to give. I just want you to know how grateful I am to you and to Shanti and Yoga Tree.
Warmly and most sincerely,
Hi Debbie I wanted to take a moment to tell you how absolutely amazing the Children’s Specialty was. I can’t speak highly enough of Chelsea in everything she did over the course! Her manual was so thorough, modern & enjoyable. She supported us in so many ways and I feel is a gifted catalyst for each of us. If you need any testimonial for the specialty I would love to help in any way. What an absolute blessing🙏!
I am so excited about teaching Children’s Yoga and I would love to reach out to Jennifer at Yoga Tree or any other suggestions you might have. I want to spread the message of love that you and all in Shanti have so wonderfully shared with me. I consider myself blessed to stay in any Shanti circle & help cultivate this space you have created especially with children!
Kaela Pothier, 6/5/17
“Jeanne has a thoughtful approach to yoga for wellness which is steeped in the tradition of Desikachar and Gary Kraftsow. When you learn from her or take a class from her, you feel deeply understood–biomechanically and spiritually. Jeanne’s handouts and instructions are a valuable tool to me as a student and as a teacher of yoga.”
Shanti 500-hr. Graduate
ERYT500 and YACEP
“The course opened my mind to other methods of Yoga practice.” Jeanne has a depth of knowledge and experience that shows in her teachings.”
Natalie Bartley, a 200-hr. Certified Yoga Teacher,
“I just want to thank you so much for everything you do.
I came into yoga thinking I knew a good portion (about yoga & myself). Turns
out I hadn’t even scratched the surface. This experience has changed the way
I communicate not only with others but with myself . I have an endless
amount of gratitude for you as a teacher and as a human being. And endless
amount of thinks and love to give to you.”
Shanti Yoga Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training Testimonial
I just wanted to write a quick review of the RPYT training I did in the Fall/Winter of 2017/18 with Mindy Goodman and Holly Lammer.
The training was excellent and well rounded for both current yoga teachers and non-yoga teachers. I felt that it was the perfect balance of anatomical and medical information related to pregnancy and labor and delivery (Mindy’s teachings) and the importance of the energetic, emotional and subtle body of the mother and child during these same stages (Holly’s teachings).
I loved learning so much about chakras and fascia in relation to pregnancy and being encouraged to tap into my own creative and energetic wisdom in order to sequence yoga classes.
We had a small class, which created ample time for constructive and relative conversations and allowed us to discuss everything in intimate detail.
I enjoyed creating sequences, and the slight pressure of teaching new material in new ways to classmates.
“I am a graduate of the Shanti Yoga 200- and 300-hour teacher training programs. During the 200-hour training I gained an understanding of yoga beyond what I had imagined possible in an introductory level program. Although I had practiced yoga most of my adult life, I had not studied or been exposed to the breadth of topics covered in the 200- hour modules including: Ethics, History & Philosophy, Anatomy & Physiology, Asana, Pranayama, Meditation and Teaching Yoga. My depth of knowledge and understanding continued to develop as I entered the 300-hour program. Similar to the metaphor of an iceberg often used to describe the relative proportion of asana to the world of yoga, I found the knowledge I gained in the 200-hour program just the tip of the iceberg. In the 300-hour program I was able to deepen my understanding and pursue interest in areas of yoga that I previously did not know existed. Completing both of these programs has enriched not only my ability to teach yoga but also my personal growth and development. I am eternally grateful to the teachers and staff of the Shanti Teacher Training program for their sincere and genuine interest in providing a yoga teacher training program that meets the highest of standards.”
Yay! I’m so grateful for my Shanti education. I couldn’t be happier with my decision to complete my teacher training program with you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’m so excited to share. –jenna calhoun